Pittsburgh Air Conditioner Replacement Service
Pittsburgh is probably better known for its icy-cold winters than its balmy summers—but that doesn't mean we don't need our air conditioners when warm weather hits and the thermometer climbs into the 90s. Your AC unit is a crucially important piece of the puzzle when it comes to keeping your house at a comfortable temperature all year 'round. When it has slowly deteriorated to the point that it no longer functions adequately or efficiently, or has suffered sudden damage that can't be easily repaired, it's definitely time to call a heating and cooling professional for Pittsburgh air conditioner replacement service.
While you may not be thrilled to discover that you need Pittsburgh air conditioner replacement, there are actually some big benefits of going through the replacement process that can really sweeten the deal. Depending on the state of your current unit, you may see a dramatic improvement in your indoor comfort levels, reduce allergy suffering by improving indoor air quality and even save a significant amount of money on your monthly utility bills.
Have you noticed signs that your air conditioning unit just isn't functioning like it used to? Rely on the team of experienced Pittsburgh HVAC service professionals at Aire Serv Heating and Air Conditioning for all your Pittsburgh air conditioner replacement needs, along with other types of HVAC service for your heating and cooling system. We are proud to serve the residents of Pittsburgh and parts of the surrounding area with expert
Signs You Need Pittsburgh Air Conditioner Replacement
One of the first things homeowners often ask us when they find out they need Pittsburgh air conditioner replacement is, "Can't you just do AC repair instead?" It's a fair question—there's no sense in throwing the baby out with the bathwater and getting rid of your entire system if you just need basic air conditioning repair service. In some cases, repair is definitely your best option. But there are other situations in which replacement is the only way to deal with the problem you're experiencing, or where replacement is actually going to be less expensive than repair. Here are some of the major indications that Pittsburgh air conditioner replacement really is the best course of action for your home:
- Increased Costs on Energy Bills: Have you noticed energy costs on your utility bill are higher than they used to be, even though your daily routine is the same? That's a sign that your unit is deteriorating and losing efficiency so it needs more and more fuel (electricity or natural gas) in order to provide the same amount of cooling service, and that additional fuel usage is, of course, reflected on your energy bills.
- Too Hot and Humid Indoors: The entire point of having an air conditioning system is to provide cool air and remove excess humidity, so if it is not capable of doing that, there's a problem. Whether it is malfunctioning or too small for your house, Pittsburgh air conditioner replacement is likely the right solution.
- Aged AC System: Your system is complex with a lot of moving parts, so like anything else, it slowly degrades over time and loses efficiency. If your unit was installed more than ten years ago and is showing signs of its age, it's time for Pittsburgh air conditioner replacement.
- Unit is Leaking: If you see liquid leaking from your AC unit, use caution. It may just be water, in which case repair might actually be a good option depending on the age of the unit. But it could also be refrigerant, which is very harmful to people who get it on their skin or inhale the fumes. If you suspect a refrigerant leak, open a window, leave the room and call a professional for help.
- Needs Frequent Repair: Are you reaching for the phone way too often to make a repair appointment for your unit? Regardless of the age of the unit, if it is in need of one repair call after another, it will be far more cost-effective to skip straight to Pittsburgh air conditioner replacement.
Choosing the Right Option for Pittsburgh Air Conditioner Replacement
Part of the Pittsburgh air conditioner replacement process is, of course, selecting the ideal option for your new unit. That may sound like a fairly straightforward task, but it can be confusing if you're not familiar with the different types of systems available and don't know about all the considerations that come into play. If you're not sure what to choose, don't panic—our team has the experience and skill to assess your cooling needs and make an educated recommendation on the best option for your home and household. Here are a few of the factors that homeowners should keep in mind when looking over the options for Pittsburgh air conditioner replacement.
Energy Efficiency Requirements
One key piece of information that many homeowners are unaware of is that the U.S. Department of Energy sets minimum requirements for energy efficiency of new air conditioning units. The efficiency rating is based on a unit's seasonal energy efficiency ratio, or SEER. It's typically expressed as a single number, and the higher its SEER rating is, the more efficiently the unit operates.
The minimum allowable SEER for a new cooling unit depends on the geographical region we live in. The U.S. Department of Energy has divided the United States into three regions: North, Southwest and Southeast. Pittsburgh is located in the North region, which means we have the lowest minimum at SEER 13. The reason for these standards is to reduce environmental strain by decreasing the demand for energy sources, and air conditioner installation professionals are not legally permitted to install a new unit that does not meet the minimum requirements for the region, so it's important to make sure you purchase a Pittsburgh air conditioner replacement that has a rating of at least SEER 13. That shouldn't be difficult, since most of the systems available start at SEER 13 and range upward to SEER 22. You may want to consider a higher SEER rating, depending on what will work best for your household.
Types of AC Units
If you've already begun searching online or had a look around a few stores, you've probably noticed that there's a wide range of air conditioner brands, models, types and configurations available. It can feel overwhelming at first, but they all fit into one of four basic categories, and it's likely that only one of these types is suitable for your needs. So, narrowing it down to the right type will help a lot for selection purposes. The general types available for Pittsburgh air conditioner replacement are:
- Package and Split Systems: These are both kinds of forced-air central air conditioners that rely on air ducts to transport cool air to different parts of a building. The difference between them is that package systems combine cooling and heating into a single unit, while split systems are divided into separate units for air conditioning and heating.
- Ductless Mini-Splits: As you may have guessed based on their name, ductless mini-splits do not require ductwork. Instead, an outdoor unit is connected to multiple evaporator units indoors—usually there is one in every major room that needs cooling.
- Portable or Window Units: These units are relatively small and don't require an outdoor compressor or ductwork, though they do need to vent to the outdoors through an open window or ventilation hose. They are simple to install and remove so they make sense for renters, but they are only capable of cooling one or possibly two rooms.
- Evaporative Coolers: Also known as swamp coolers, evaporative systems use evaporation to remove heat from a building, which means they work best in arid climates with dry heat. Even though it's not coastal, Pittsburgh does get a fair amount of humidity so an evaporative cooler likely won't be sufficient in our climate.
Why Aire Serv is the Best Choice for AC Replacement, Pittsburgh
Your HVAC system is complicated, and needs to be handled safely and effectively by a qualified professional. But finding the right company or individual who is not only experienced and capable but also courteous and friendly can feel like a major challenge. You can expect all that and more when you call the team at Aire Serv Heating and Air Conditioning. We strive to exceed our customers' expectations by always delivering top-notch customer service and an outstanding quality of workmanship.
In a perfect world, your HVAC system would only break down during normal business hours—but that's just not reality. You may find yourself dealing with a cooling or heating service emergency at any time of the day or week, and going without HVAC services just isn't an option during the months with extreme temperatures. That is why we are available 24 hours per day, seven days per week for emergency services. And, our services aren't just for residential buildings. Business owners can rely on us for commercial services as well, including Pittsburgh air conditioning replacement.
Frequently Asked Questions About Pittsburgh Air Conditioner Replacement
Which is Better for Pittsburgh Air Conditioner Replacement, Ductless or Central Air?
One isn't necessarily better than the other, because they fulfill different needs according to how your house was built and configured. Whether a ductless system or a central air conditioning system is the better choice for your particular home really hinges on whether you've already got a ductwork installation in place.
Newer homes are almost always constructed to include and accommodate a forced-air HVAC system, which means ductwork is installed inside the walls to carry warm or cool air from the central unit to various places in the building and expel it through registers. That's an efficient way to manage your HVAC needs, so if your house has ductwork, a central HVAC system makes perfect sense for your Pittsburgh air conditioner replacement.
But if you live in an older home that was constructed before ductwork was commonly used, it's another story. The task of retrofitting an older house with ductwork ranges from difficult, intrusive and time-consuming to downright impossible. There's often even enough space available inside the walls to place air ducts—and that's basically why ductless mini-splits were created.
How Do I Maintain My System to Avoid Air Conditioning Replacement for Longer?
The best way to keep your HVAC system functioning well so you won't need to worry about Pittsburgh air conditioner replacement or repair as often is with regular maintenance. Annual inspections and tune-ups from our HVAC professionals go a long way toward extending the life expectancy of your HVAC system. That being said, there are a few things you can take care of that will make a difference as well:
- Trim trees, bushes and other plants back so they are at least a few feet away from your outdoor compressor unit.
- Keep the compressor in a shaded area if possible, with full clearance around it, and avoid letting items like toys or bicycles gather around it.
- Install a programmable thermostat that reduces wear and tear on your system by automatically adjusting the temperature at night or during times when you're not usually at home.
How Much Does Pittsburgh Air Conditioner Replacement Cost?
We can't tell you the exact cost of replacement because there are so many variable cost factors such as the square footage of your home and the state of your current system including the ductwork. Once we've been able to assess your house and system and take care of some important load calculations, we can give you an honest, upfront price for the work that needs to be done.
Time for Pittsburgh Air Conditioner Replacement? Trust Aire Serv to Get It Done!
It doesn't matter if you're in Pittsburgh, PA or a nearby community such as Moon Township, Sewickley or Wexford—you can expect the same expert workmanship and excellent customer service from the team of professionals at Aire Serv Heating and Air Conditioning. Give us a call today at 724-305-3132 to put in a service request or to learn more about our other services, such as air conditioner maintenance and air conditioner repair.