Air Conditioning Repair | FAQs
How Long Do A/C Units Last?
The lifespan of an air conditioning unit can vary depending on several factors, including the quality of the unit, usage patterns, maintenance, and environmental conditions. On average, a well-maintained central air conditioning unit can last anywhere between 10 to 20 years.
However, some units may last even longer with proper care. It's important to note that the lifespan of window units, portable air conditioners, and other types of AC units may be slightly shorter, typically ranging from 7 to 12 years.
Regular maintenance and servicing of the unit can help extend its lifespan. This includes cleaning or replacing filters, checking refrigerant levels, and ensuring proper airflow. Additionally, using the AC unit efficiently, such as setting appropriate temperature levels and minimizing unnecessary usage, can also contribute to its longevity.
If your air conditioning unit is older and experiencing frequent breakdowns or inefficiencies, it may be worth considering an upgrade or consulting one of our professional technicians at Aire Serv of Greenville to assess its condition and provide recommendations.
Should I Repair or Replace My Air Conditioner?
Determining whether to repair or replace your air conditioner depends on various factors, here are some considerations to help you make an informed decision:
- Age of the Unit - If your air conditioner is nearing or past its expected lifespan (typically around 10-20 years), it may be more cost-effective to replace it rather than investing in frequent repairs.
- Repair Costs - Evaluate the cost of the repair compared to the value of the unit. If the repair costs are significant, approaching or exceeding 50% of the unit's value, it might be more financially prudent to consider a replacement.
- Energy Efficiency - Older air conditioners tend to be less energy-efficient compared to newer models. If your unit has a low SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) rating, upgrading to a more efficient system could result in long-term energy savings.
- Frequency of Repairs - If your air conditioner frequently breaks down or requires repairs, it could be a sign of underlying issues or the overall decline of the unit. Replacing it may provide greater reliability and peace of mind.
- Performance and Comfort - Assess the overall performance of your air conditioner. If it struggles to cool your space adequately, provides inconsistent temperatures, or fails to meet your comfort needs, a new unit could offer improved performance and better comfort.
- Environmental Considerations - If your current air conditioner uses ozone-depleting refrigerants like R-22 (Freon), which is being phased out, it might be necessary to replace it with an eco-friendly alternative.
Professional AC Repair Near Me
As fully licensed professionals, we understand that great customer service is the secret to most successful repair projects. More than just providing friendly and courteous service, our technicians will take the time to listen to your concerns, answer your questions, and develop a cost-effective plan of action. To help ensure that you get air conditioning repair services on your terms, Aire Serv of Greenville offers everything from written estimates to 24/7 emergency service availability.
We serve customers throughout the Greater Greenville Area, so don't hesitate to contact us today.