How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
How long your air considerer will last ultimately depends on a variety of factors, from the amount of routine maintenance you have completed to the model of the unit. Typically, air conditioners are built to last anywhere from 10 to 15 years. Having routine maintenance performed can help you get the most out of any type of air conditioning unit.
Some of the factors that affect the lifespan of your AC unit include:
- HVAC Maintenance – Like mentioned before, one of the most important things you can have completed to extend the lifespan of your home’s air conditioner system is having proper maintenance performed. This ensures that your system is always in the best condition to serve your home.
- Air Filter – If you don’t change your filter at minimum every 90 days, you may be contributing to the deterioration of your unit. Changing your air filter ensures your air can flow freely, plus helps everyone breathe a bit easier with fewer indoor allergies.
- Frequency of Use – Just like any other appliance, the frequency of operation can affect how long your AC unit lasts. If your unit is on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, it will have a lower lifespan than a unit that is only used for a few hours when needed most.
- Quality of Installation – You want to make sure your unit is only ever installed by a team of professionals. If completed poorly, your AC may be set up for failure. We provide services that can help you fix a poor installation job.
At One Hour, we hope to help you get the most out of your AC unit, whether you’ve recently had it installed or inherited it from a previous homeowner. With the help of our experienced team, we’ll listen to your needs and determine the best schedule to extend the lifespan of your unit and investment.
Warning Signs Your AC May Need to Be Replaced
Whether your unit is reaching its end of life or turning out to be a lemon, it’s important to listen and be attentive to any of the signs your AC gives that it needs to be checked by a professional Jacksonville AC service technician. We’ve collected a list of some of the warning signs your AC unit may be giving you that a new AC is in your future.
Some warning signs you may need an AC replacement include:
- Odd Noises – Whether the normal pops and hums are okay, be careful to notice any type of clanking, banging, or odd noises in general. This could be an early sign of mechanical failure in your system.
- Weak Airflow – Experiencing weak airflow even though you have replaced your filter and cleaned your vents? Your system may be reaching the end of its life if it's not as effective in covering your whole space as it used to.
- Off Temperatures – If your system is just not delivering the temperatures and level of comfortability you’d expect and are used to, it may be time for a replacement if tune-ups and maintenance don’t help.
- Increasing Cost – Does your operating costs continue to climb? It may be due to the age of your AC unit. Whether you’re experiencing unexplained costs or dealing with an outdated model, having your unit replaced with an energy-efficient model will help reduce the cost of your bill.
- Excessive Moisture – Are you experiencing constant run-off or general excessive moisture coming from your unit? Not only can this lead to property damage, but it may also be some of the final warning signs that your unit is at the end of its life.
- Frequent Service – Have you needed to call out techs more and more? If your unit is needing frequent repairs, this can be a sign it’s time for a replacement. In most cases, having your AC replaced will prove to be more cost-effective than paying for service calls and repairs every other week.
Local AC Replacement Services
If you notice any of these above signs or have ignored them for far too long, be sure to request an air conditioner inspection from our team of experts. At Aire Serv of Jacksonville, our team is trained to take their time to listen to your concerns and note any warning signs you’ve experienced to diagnose the problem quickly and accurately. Once we locate the problem, we’ll work to ensure you are getting the most cost-effective solution, whether that be a repair or replacement. Check out our testimonials to learn more about the services and experience we strive to provide!