HVAC filters, also known simply as home air filters, insert into your HVAC stack and are critical to the air quality inside your home. Further, they work to reduce wear and tear on your home’s heating and cooling systems—but their existence doesn’t guarantee results. HVAC filters must be sized appropriately and replaced regularly.
Rely on Aire Serv® for all your home air filter installation and replacement needs. Request an appointment online to get started.
The Types of HVAC Systems We Service
Your home’s HVAC is composed of multiple systems, often including a furnace and central air conditioner. Each unit will have its own air filter. Additionally, some HVAC structures will include an in-line air purifier (which may also include a separate filter).
Maintain everything with whole-house air filter system installation and replacement, or call us to install and replace filters in individual units, including:
- Furnace filters
- Central AC filters
- Standalone air purifier filters
- And more
The Residential Air Filters We Commonly Replace
We replace and install air filters based on manufacturer recommendations. We commonly replace and service filter types that include:
- HEPA filters
- UV light filters
- Washable filters
- Pleated filters
- Electrostatic filters
- Media filters
- Spun glass filters
Aire Serv service professionals can help you choose the best air filter for your home. We’ll advise on everything from the type of filter that’s ideal for your needs to home air filter sizes that fit your system.
Home Air Filter Installation
While system and filter type may vary, all HVAC systems should be equipped with an air filter of some kind. If you suspect your HVAC system is lacking a filter, contact your local Aire Serv as soon as possible. An HVAC system operating without proper filters will recirculate dirt and dander throughout your home and may leave the internal mechanisms of your systems vulnerable to damage.
When to Replace Your Air Filter
Most furnace manufacturers recommend replacing your home air filter every three months. You may consider replacing your filter more often if you smoke or have pets, a fireplace, or a large family. You should also replace your filter if it becomes damp or damaged for any reason. Learn more about home air filters and make regular maintenance a part of your routine around the house.
The Home Air Filter Replacement Process
To replace your HVAC systems air filters your service professional will:
- Identify all the filters within the system.
- Identify the ideal replacement for each filter.
- Carefully remove the existing filters, making note of any wear and tear, damage, or unusual buildup around the filter.
- Install the new filter.
- Schedule an appointment for future replacement (every three months).
The Importance of Residential Air Filter Replacement
Proper air filter maintenance (replacement) is key to the longevity and efficiency of your HVAC system. Dirty air filters may:
- Reduce efficacy. Old filters lose their ability to filter air. The more debris and particles that get trapped in the filter, the more it struggles to work.
- Interrupt airflow. A filter clogged with particles doesn’t have the room to let air flow freely. Your house won’t cool or heat as effortlessly until someone changes the filter.
- Cause system strain. Without easy airflow, your system fan will use more energy to push air through your vents. The strain on your unit’s systems makes them more likely to freeze or overheat, since they won’t be able to dedicate energy to maintaining the proper temperature.
- Allow for mold growth. More debris in the filter means more surface area for mold, mildew, and bacteria to grow, as moisture also gets trapped in the clogged filter.
- Promote dirty ducts. Particles that would usually get trapped in the filter may instead settle in the ductwork. Duct cleaning will reduce the problem, but you’ll need to do it more often if old filters are regularly left in your HVAC unit.
Find Home Air Filter Replacement and Installation Near Me
We make it easy to improve the air quality in your home with quick, professional service. Install new or replace your home’s existing air filters with regular service from your local Aire Serv. Our service professionals are HVAC experts, and all our work is backed by the Neighborly Done Right Promise®. Call or request an appointment online to learn more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do you need an air filter in your house?
Every home HVAC system should have an air filter. Installing and maintaining an air filter can help by:
- Improving general air quality
- Reducing allergens in the home
- Reducing triggers for asthma attacks and other breathing problems
- Saving money on duct cleaning
- Lowering energy costs through system maintenance
- Keeping your home cleaner
- Saving your system from water and stress damage
How often should you change your air filter?
Most home air filters need to be changed every 90 days for typical, year-round use. This recommendation may vary—households with pets or homes that are located in dusty or dry climates may benefit from more frequent air filter replacement.
Why does my home air filter get dirty so fast?
Areas with high pollen content, homes with leaky ducts, and houses with two or more furry pets (like dogs or cats) will often see air filters get dirty more quickly than average. If you find your filters getting dirty faster without visible sources of the extra debris, your service professional may suggest ductwork inspection and repair.
How to care for a washable air filter for your home.
For the best results, clean your washable filter once a month. Remove it from your HVAC system and rinse it thoroughly. Remove any residue with a soft brush and mild detergent. Shake excess water off and let your filter dry completely before reinstalling.
Neighborly® has a brand for all your home service needs. From dryer maintenance to home organization, trust our teams to help you maintain your home:
- A clean dryer vent is a safe dryer vent. Count on Dryer Vent Wizard® for professional dryer vent cleaning.
- Molly Maid® regularly scheduled cleaning services help to make your time at home more enjoyable.
- Don’t stress under the weight of a disorganized home. Trust Shelf Genie® to customize storage solutions for your household.