When you call on Aire Serv for an air duct cleaning, we start with a thorough inspection. We’ll assess the current state of your air ducts before making recommendations about maintenance. Next, we use a powerful HEPA filter vacuum to remove contaminants from your evaporator coils, vent covers, and blower. Once most of the contaminants have been removed from the air ducts, we’ll blow compressed air through your system to flush out any remaining dust and dirt that is captured in our vacuum system. This process results in cleaner ductwork and fewer allergens floating through the air.
The Importance of Regular Air Duct Cleaning
A clean air duct is also a more efficient air duct. That’s why it’s so important to keep yours regularly maintained and cleaned. Clean ducts ensure your system is operating as efficiently as possible. As a result, you’ll enjoy faster cooling and heating, a more comfortable environment, and reduced energy costs.
Regular duct cleaning also helps extend the life of your HVAC system. When ducts are dirty or clogged with debris, your system has to work harder to generate sufficient airflow. It’s a lot easier to push air out of a clean duct than a dirty one. Keeping your air ducts clean puts less stress on your HVAC unit and helps you enjoy more years of uninterrupted performance.
Common Contaminants Found in Air Ducts
You might not realize it, but dirty air ducts can threaten the health and safety of you and your family. Regular residential ductwork cleanings can be especially beneficial for those with asthma or allergies. If you’re experiencing symptoms like coughing, sneezing, and nausea, you may want to learn more about indoor air quality and invest in a thorough air duct cleaning, as the following contaminants may be present:
- Mold – Moldy ducts can be incredibly hazardous to your health. Mold can often be found growing within particular duct systems exposed to moisture. Mold in your HVAC system is particularly dangerous because it can spread and circulate throughout your home. Allergic reactions and even potential poisoning are some issues that can arise if left untreated. Not all mold grows in visible areas, which is why you should take notice of any strange odors or troubling health symptoms. If you believe mold is growing in your duct system, it is important to schedule an HVAC inspection as soon as possible to mitigate potential health issues.
- Dust – If you or someone in your family struggles with asthma or allergies, the dust in your duct system can impact their comfort. Dust collects naturally over time in every HVAC system, reducing the quality of air in the space.
- Dirt – Like dust and mold, dirt in your duct system can also be harmful to your health. Air ducts exhibiting signs of wear and tear or systems that have not been sealed properly are at a higher risk of dirt contamination. Regular inspections and proper duct installation can help prevent this form of contamination.
- Pet Dander – Though not deadly, pet dander is one of the biggest contributors to indoor allergies. If you own a pet, your HVAC system can be clogged with hair and dander, aggravating allergies and reducing the quality of your indoor air. There are numerous ways to reduce pet dander in your home, but if you are moving into a home that previously had pets, your ductwork could already be impacted. A thorough duct cleaning can provide a fresh start for new homeowners.
Occasionally, rodents and bugs find their way inside residential ductwork systems. Their presence can create blockages, cause damage, and spread germs throughout your ducts. If you hear pests crawling in your air ducts, it’s important to take action immediately. Serious damage can be done when critters are left to their own devices.
How Often Do Vents Need to be Cleaned?
You may wonder, “How often do vents need to be cleaned?” Aire Serv uses recommendations from the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the National Air Duct Cleaners Association (NADCA) as a benchmark for regular vent maintenance solutions. In tandem with NADCA’s suggestion, we recommend home and business owners with average HVAC usage schedule a thorough air duct cleaning and inspection every three to five years.
Here are other situations that warrant additional cleaning services:
- You’re moving into a new residence.
- You’re either starting or about to finish a home renovation.
- Unexplained allergies, asthma, or illness-like symptoms.
- Hearing or seeing rodents/bugs traveling in or out of your duct system.
- Your home or business has recently experienced water damage or mold contamination.
- Your pet(s) sheds significant amounts of hair or dander.
- You live with individuals who smoke.
Breathe Easy with Air Duct Cleaning by Aire Serv
Clean air ducts help create a clean environment. If your air is contaminated with bacteria, dead skin, pet dander, and other contaminants, it will eventually cause issues for you and your family. Breathing in clean air is better for your health and the health of your family. Keep the air you breathe clean and safe with air duct cleaning from your local Aire Serv team.
Ready to schedule your air duct cleaning? Request an appointment today!