Who hates pollen? Raise your hand.
WOW! It’s nice to know I’m not alone. Not to sound like a NyquilLink opens in a new tab commercial but, when will the sniffling, sneezing, coughing season end? Typically the allergy season in Michigan begins in April and runs through November. Now is the time to do what *you* can to end the suffering. There are steps you can take to help rid your home of allergens. The best part? It won’t cost an arm and a leg.
Here are Aire Serv’s top tips for getting rid of allergens lurking in your home.
Sleeping With the Enemy
The number of allergens that build up in your bedroom can be mind boggling.
- Make sure your pillows, box spring and mattress are in a dust-mite-proof cover.
- In addition, make sure you wash your sheets and pillowcases once a week.
Don’t Let Sneeze Triggers Settle In
- Don’t let your living room be a source of sneezes. Choose furniture that is easy to clean, like leather or cotton. You should dust at least once a week.
- Vacuum and deep clean your carpeting. We recommend deep cleaning every six months. You should vacuum your carpeting once a week - or more.
- Do you really need all those knick-knacks? If you really want to cut down on the allergens, then cut down on the clutter. All those things you have sitting on shelves are dust magnets. Store items that you want to keep in plastic bins and put them in your attic or basement.
Get to the Root of the Problem
- Leave the plants to mother nature.
- Plants are prime targets for moldLink opens in a new tab. Either find a new home for them, or cover the base of the plants with aquarium gravel to help prevent mold from growing.
- Having a hot, humid house is the perfect growth spot for mold and dust mitesLink opens in a new tab.
- You should keep your thermostat between 68 and 72 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Replacing air filters will also help cut down on the allergens.
The professional technicians at Air Serv can inspect your home and find where allergens are hiding, and prevent indoor allergies. With Aire Serv, just breathe. Call Aire Serv today (517) 731-0268.