Signs You Need Dallas Heater Maintenance Service
Wondering if your property is due (or long overdue) for heater maintenance service? Here are a few of the telltale signs that your system is crying out for help from our team of Dallas heater maintenance professionals.
- Your House Doesn't Get Warm Enough: Don't touch that temperature dial! If you find that you need to double-up on sweaters because your home never really gets warm enough, no matter how much you adjust the thermostat, expert heater maintenance can get your system back up to full power.
- Strange Noises: Forced-air systems should only make a quiet humming or blowing sound when they are operating — while boilers should be completely silent. If you hear noises such as banging, rattling, or grinding coming from your ductwork or vents, that is not normal and should be checked out by a professional.
- Hot and Cold Spots: Is one room sweltering hot while another feels like you've been transported to the Arctic? Uneven heating or random cold spots that appear despite temperature settings are a big indication that your system needs maintenance, and likely duct cleaning as well.
- Unpleasant Smells: Ideally, your HVAC system should not give off any type of odor. If you smell burning or melting plastic coming from air ducts, there could be an electrical fault in the system that needs attention right away. If it is more of a musty or rotting smell, there could be mold, excessive dust, or other contaminants in the ducts.
- Yellow Burner Flame: If you have a combustion furnace, take a look at the burner flame next time the unit fires up. The flame should be mostly blue. If it has more of a yellow hue, that is a sign that the unit needs cleaning and maintenance.
- Excessive Dust: Is there a coating of dust everywhere in your house, no matter how much you clean? Or visible dust particles floating in the air? Excessive dust and dirt is a sign that your heating system needs a change of filters and the ducts are suffering from a lack of maintenance.
- Rusted Flue Tube: If you see signs of rust on your furnace flue pipe, it is important to get maintenance and repair services immediately. The flue is used to vent water vapor, carbon monoxide, and other gasses from your home, and you don't want to risk having carbon monoxide seep into your house.
3 Ways Dallas Heater Maintenance Saves You Money
Being comfortable and snug in your home is probably the biggest benefit of regular Dallas heater maintenance, but saving money is a pretty nice perk as well. There are three key ways that Dallas heater maintenance can reduce the strain on your budget and keep your money in your bank account where it belongs.
Energy Cost Savings
In the typical Dallas home, heating and cooling is the biggest expense on monthly utility bills, far exceeding other energy usage such as lighting. That is the case whether your heater is operating efficiently or not — but if it is not, your electricity or gas bills will be much higher and you will be needlessly overpaying for wasted fuel.
The energy efficiency of your unit is measured by the annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) rating, which is a ratio that compares your system's annual heat output versus its annual fuel consumption. For example, a system with an AFUE rating of 80% converts 80% of the fuel that it uses into heat, while the other 20% is lost.
As the years go by and your heater is not adequately maintained, it loses efficiency and the AFUE rating drops, so the unit requires more and more fuel to provide the same amount of warmth. Annual Dallas heater maintenance will make your unit more energy efficient, reducing your household energy expenditure and saving you a considerable amount of money over time.
Longer System Lifespan
The expected lifespan of heating units in Dallas varies depending on factors such as the type of system, how frequently it is used, the humidity in our climate, and — of course — how much maintenance it receives. Your system will last a lot longer with routine maintenance, which means you can avoid a costly replacement for longer and still have a unit that is running reliably and efficiently.
Fewer Heating Repairs
The earlier you catch and correct a problem with a heater, the easier and less expensive Dallas heater repair service will be. When you get regular heater maintenance services, your Dallas HVAC service professional has the opportunity to take care of minor repairs as needed, but it also gives them a chance to notice and resolve any issues early on, before they spiral into a big problem that will cost you more and cause a stressful situation in your household.
Rely on the Pros at Aire Serv of Dallas for Expert Heater Maintenance
As a locally owned and operated business, the team at Aire Serv of Dallas is proud to provide the residents of Dallas and the surrounding area with the highest standards of service, from the best quality of workmanship to dedicated customer service, for everything from Dallas furnace maintenance to fixing Dallas heat pumps.
We will provide a stress-free experience by communicating honestly with you, arriving on time for your scheduled appointment, and addressing any concerns or questions you may have before getting started. Our team is passionate about helping homeowners improve the comfort and indoor air quality of their homes with heating maintenance solutions that are long-lasting and highly effective.
The Aire Serv Advantage Plan
Your heating system needs scheduled maintenance services every year, ideally in the autumn before the period of heaviest usage in the winter. You can save money on those scheduled appointments for heater maintenance and tune ups with Aire Serv's Advantage Plan, which includes discounted pricing along with priority service and scheduling. We can also validate equipment warranties as needed, and you will receive discounts from other participating Neighborly brands such as Mr. Rooter® and Glass Doctor®.
Upfront Pricing & No Overtime Fees
Nobody wants to wait until a service is complete to find out how much the final bill is going to ring in at, which is why we always provide an honest, upfront price with no overtime fees or other hidden charges. You will know exactly how much you'll be paying before we get started, so you can make an informed decision about what is best for your property.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dallas Heater Maintenance
Have questions about heater maintenance services in Dallas, TX, or about other heating and cooling services for your home? We have answers! Call us to chat with our knowledgeable customer service staff and get the information you are looking for, or check out our answers to some commonly asked questions below.
What Is Included in Dallas Heater Maintenance Service?
First, our service professionals will examine your system and home carefully, looking for any signs that your heater is not functioning as well as it should. We look for rust, cracks, corrosion, and other signs of malfunction or deterioration.
- Gas lines
- Air flow
- Fan controls
- Blower motors
- Electrical connections
- Safety controls
- Condensate drains on a condensing furnace
- Outdoor compressor units for a heat pump
Next up, we will complete any repairs that are needed to keep your unit and ductwork in excellent working order, and finally, we will wrap it up with a boiler, heat pump, or furnace tune-up.
- Lubricating moving parts
- Tightening or replacing belts
- Making sure the thermostat is calibrated properly
- Conducting an amp-draw test
- Straightening crushed compressor fins
How Often Do I Need Heater Maintenance in Dallas?
Most heating and cooling experts recommend annual heater maintenance. Having your system inspected and tuned once a year will keep it operating safely and efficiently, and give your service professional the opportunity to identify potential trouble spots and get them repaired before they cause a noticeable disruption in your heating services.
Do Gas-Powered Heaters Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
A gas heater that has fallen into disrepair can pose a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, which is why furnace maintenance is doubly important to ensure that your unit is in good working order and not creating a hazard that could jeopardize the health of you and your family.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can cause serious illness and even death when it is inhaled in large quantities. Normally your furnace vents it safely outdoors where it can't do any harm, but a deteriorated system may allow carbon monoxide to seep into your home. Along with regular heater maintenance, it is strongly recommended that you install an additional safety measure in the form of carbon monoxide detectors near every sleeping place in your home.
What Can I Do to Maintain My Home Heating System in Dallas?
The best way to ensure that your home heating system is running smoothly is professional Dallas heater maintenance services. That being said, there are a few things you can do to keep your system in good working order and improve your home's energy efficiency:
- Change your unit's air filter regularly. Exactly how often it needs to be changed depends on the size of the filter and how often the system is used, so refer to the manufacturer's instructions. However, if you notice that the filter is visibly dirty, or there is excessive dust buildup in your house and your allergies are irritated, it is time to change the filter.
- Sealing windows, door frames, and other places that are letting in cold air drafts will drastically increase the energy efficiency of your home by keeping the warm air inside where it belongs. That means your heater won't need to work as hard or as frequently to heat your home, which reduces wear and tear and saves money on your energy bill.
- Installing a smart thermostat can help a lot to make your home more efficient and reduce heater usage. You can program a schedule that automatically turns your HVAC down or off during the periods of time that you are usually out of the house or sleeping, so you don't have to remember to constantly adjust it manually.
Want to Make Your Home More Comfortable and Efficient? Aire Serv of Dallas Can Help!
Whether you are in Dallas or a nearby part of the greater Dallas-Fort Worth area such as Sunnyvale, Mesquite, or Rowlett, you rely on the experienced team of service professionals at Aire Serv of Dallas to provide expert heater maintenance services.
Pick up the phone and give us a call to book a service appointment with our friendly customer service representatives, or to find out more about how our heater maintenance services will improve the comfort and efficiency of your Dallas home!