Licensed AC & Heating Technicians at Aire Serv®
The surprisingly simple function of a programmable thermostat can not only increase comfort levels in your home, but also save you money on your home’s largest energy expense: heating and cooling costs. Our Aire Serv air conditioner and heater repair technicians explain how this little piece of technology can even accomplish this while reducing the time and effort you currently spend monitoring your home’s temperature.
What Is a Programmable Thermostat?
Tired of paying for heating and cooling while you are away from home eight hours a day or more? Sick of returning to an uncomfortable home in an effort to save energy? A programmable thermostat offers a solution! Designed to automatically adjust the temperature in your home based on a series of pre-programmed settings for various times of the day, programmable thermostats set you up for comfort and energy savings year-round.
Here are some reasons why should you consider an upgrade to a programmable thermostat:
- Savings – Energy savings quickly offset the minimal cost of upgrading to a programmable thermostat. You can save 1% of your energy bill for every degree the thermostat is set back or up, depending on the season, over an eight-hour period!
- Simplicity – Compatible with both newer and older heating and cooling equipment, a programmable thermostat allows you to “set it and forget it” while it does the work for you.
- Comfort – Pre-programmed settings adjust the temperature for when you are awake, asleep, or away, returning temperatures to the desired levels when needed.
- Control – Programmable thermostats come in many different styles from simple to complex, allowing you the most control over energy use and comfort levels. Some even offer remote operation by phone or Internet. In addition, programmable thermostats can be manually overridden without affecting programming.
Will a Programmable Thermostat Work For Me?
Programmable thermostats work in a variety of environments, including:
- Multi-Level Homes – Basements and upstairs bedrooms may only be used during particular times of the day, allowing for additional energy savings when no heating or cooling is needed. Zoned systems utilizing programmable thermostats offer even more temperature control for these issues.
- Vacation Homes – In addition to lowering energy bills, setting temperatures for winter and summer extremes can prevent issues such as frozen pipes and melted candles. Certain thermostats will even allow you to adjust the temperature using phone or Internet programming prior to arriving for your vacation!
- Apartments – Owners of apartment complexes can save renters money on power bills, add value to apartments, and draw residents to communities simply by upgrading to programmable thermostats.
- Commercial Buildings – Programmable thermostats offer business owners an opportunity to enhance their bottom line. Businesses can save a substantial amount by simply adjusting temperatures over the weekends or at night while the business is closed and adjusting temperatures to more comfortable levels when in operation.
Select the Programmable Thermostat That's Right For You.
Your options include:
- 7-Day Thermostats – This type of programmable thermostat is best for households with a different schedule every day of the week.
- 5+2 Thermostats – This type of programmable thermostat is best for those with the typical five-day work week and two-day weekend schedule.
- “Smart” Thermostat – This type of programmable thermostat is Wi-Fi enabled with the ability to be programmed remotely from your computer or smartphone. “Smart” thermostats work well for those with irregular schedules or those who may forget to pre-set the thermostat before leaving home. Many come with interactive smartphone apps to help you focus on energy savings by tracking energy use in real-time.
- “Learning” Smart Thermostat – If you have a somewhat regular schedule, forget to adjust settings, or just aren’t the type to sit down and figure out how to operate devices in their home, “Learning” smart thermostats are a great fit. As the name suggests, these thermostats learn the daily habits in your home and use this gathered information to self-program a schedule. As with “smart” thermostats, these thermostats are Wi-Fi enabled with the ability to be programmed remotely from a computer or smartphone.
- Heat-Pump Specific Thermostats – Operational constraints and energy usage while in heating mode can negate the energy saving benefits of programmable thermostats used with heat-pump systems. Because of this, some companies have recently begun to offer programmable thermostats specifically for use with these systems to make programming temperatures on them cost-effective. If you have a heat pump system, be sure to consult a professional before selecting a programmable thermostat for your home.
Other programmable thermostat features to look for include:
- Backlighting and digital display
- Voice or phone programming
- Hold and vacation features
- Air filter change indicator light
- System malfunction indicator light
- Adaptive or smart recovery technology that senses the time needed to reach a given temperature within a set amount of time.
Aire Serv Offers Thermostat Installation: Call Us at (855) 679-0011
Looking for the perfect programmable thermostat for your home? Let the professionals at Aire Serv guide you to energy savings. Our licensed, knowledgeable technicians have the know-how to reduce your energy use and keep you and your family comfortable year-round. Your utility bills should be comfortable too. Call our AC and heater repair experts at (855) 679-0011 for more information.