As winter approaches, do you find yourself looking to supplement your home’s or office’s heating system? Maybe your basement is chilly or you’re looking to warm up a drafty conference room. Whatever the case may be, it might be time to plug in your space heater—but before you do, check out this list. We’re detailing everything you need to know about purchasing a new unit and heating your home with the assistance of a space heater, safely, this season!
What Is a Space Heater?
A space heater is an appliance, usually electrical, that can be used as a supplemental heat source. Space heaters are available in four main types: ceramic fan-forced heaters, convection heaters, radiant/infrared heaters, and micathermic panel heaters.
How to Choose the Best Space Heater for Your Space
When choosing the best space heater for your space, there are five key matters you should consider:
- Location: Where will the space heater be used?
- Capacity: How big of a space heater do you need?
- Safety: Is the space heater in a place where pets or people could accidentally bump into it? Is the unit hot to the touch (e.g., hot enough to burn a child) while in use?
- Energy Efficiency: How efficient is the unit?
- Additional Features: Does the unit have a remote control or a timer?
Use the list above to help guide your space heater selection.
Use your space heater safely by following these space heater safety tips from the HVAC experts at Aire Serv.
- Purchase your space heater from a reputable retailer, and use it according to factory directions.
- Plug your space heater directly into the wall – not into an extension cord or power strip.
- Use space heaters only on hard, flat ground.
- Keep all flammable materials at least three feet away from your space heater.
- Do not use your space heater near water (in a bathroom, in a laundry room, or in a kitchen).
- Do not use your space heater to dry clothing.
- Do not leave children or pets unsupervised near a space heater.
- Turn off your space heater when you exit a room or leave your home.
Call Aire Serv for All Your HVAC Needs
When used according to the manufacturer’s instructions, a space heater is a simple way to quickly heat a room in your home or office. Follow our tips to operate your space heater safely all winter long. Have a space heater or HVAC question? Wondering if your whole system can be more efficient and less expensive? Contact your local Aire Serv. Schedule an appointment online or call 855.259.2280 for 24/7 emergency service.
Get more expert heating safety tips here!