When you have your heater inspected at the start of the cooling season, the technician may find something wrong. What should you do: repair or replace your heating system? Watch for signs that your heater isn’t worth repairing and consider the benefits of replacing it with a high-efficiency model.
Signs It’s Time to Replace Your Heating System
- Your equipment is aging: The lifespan of furnaces and boilers is about 15 years. Once your heater reaches this age, it may continue to function with mediocre performance, but the decreased efficiency could mean keeping the unit running is a waste of money.
- Frequent repairs are required: Consider how much you’ve already spent to keep your old heater up and running, as well as what the estimated cost is to repair it this time around. It may be time to stop throwing good money at bad and invest in a unit that will operate efficiently and help lower your energy bills.
- Some rooms are regularly too hot or too cold: Think back to last season. Did you suffer from temperature disparities between rooms? While duct problems or poor insulation could be the issue, improper equipment operation is the most likely cause.
- Indoor relative humidity is a constant problem: If your furnace or boiler doesn’t work right, the air could feel uncomfortably dry all the time. This is a sign the heater is nearing the end of its lifespan.
- The equipment runs loudly or smells funny: When you turn on your heater for the first time in the winter, odd smells may hang around briefly, but the equipment shouldn’t run loudly. Lingering smells or loud operation could signify a serious problem potentially requiring a heating system replacement.
Benefits of Choosing a Replacement Heater Over a Repair
- Convenience: A new system means no repairs in the near future. It also means that, once repairs do become necessary, you won’t have to wait around for a part to ship because new heating system components are typically kept in stock.
- Low energy bills: Replacing a furnace or boiler may require an upfront investment, but it can save you hundreds of dollars every year compared to your aging system. This allows the investment to pay for itself in time.
- More eco-friendly: By conserving energy and heating your home with less fuel, you increase your eco-friendliness, making your high-efficiency upgrade a step in the right direction for a less polluted environment.
- New warranty: You’re considering replacing your heater, so that likely means the warranty expired years ago. A new heating system means a new five-year limited warranty and all the peace of mind that comes with it.
- Superior comfort: Advanced heating technology, which is meant to improve efficiency, also improves comfort. This includes more even temperatures throughout your home, better humidity control and more consistent airflow. Quieter operation also prevents your relaxation from being disrupted every time the heater kicks on.
- Better air quality: Due to improved humidity control and more air circulation provided by new your new furnace, you get to enjoy enhanced air quality. Be sure to change the air filter regularly throughout the season to enjoy this benefit to the fullest.
Whether you decide a repair or replacement is in order, count on Aire Serv® to provide the services you need. We perform timely, effective repairs to get your existing heater back up and running all season long. We also offer affordable, efficient replacement systems if you decide to go this route. Our professional installers ensure you get the most from your new heater.
To learn more, please contact Aire Serv today.