Cold weather making you miserable? You can survive it - and your utility bill - with the help of these tips for staying warm without turning up the heat.
Here are some tips to help you stay warm this winter:
Invite warmth into your home.
- Let the sun shine in! Open curtains and blinds during the day to let sun in and close them at night to insulate against the cold.
- Don’t be an airhead. Close your fireplace flue when the fireplace is not in use. Seal drafts with weather stripping, caulk, or when all else fails, rolled up towels and blankets.
- Don’t be a blockhead either. Blocking heat vents, registers, and radiators keeps that warm air you paid for from reaching you.
- Put the right spin on things. Run ceiling fans in reverse to push warm air back to the ground.
- Add a humidifier. Humidity makes the air feel warmer. Likewise, prevent heat loss by not overusing bathroom fans after you shower.
- Get with the program. Adding a programmable thermostat can keep your home more comfy – while saving you money.
- Consider throw rugs. Throw rugs act like blankets for floors, and help keep your toes warm.
- Pile it on. Extra blankets on the bed can make a world of difference, as can switching to flannel sheets and a down comforter.
Dress for warmth.
- Layer it up. When you’re feeling cold, it’s time for layers!
- Think ahead. Put on clothing right after it comes out of the dryer for added warmth.
- Think bear toes, not bare toes. Break out the fuzzy bear slippers, slipper socks, and house shoes.
- Grab a hat. To prevent heat loss, cover your head.
- Get cuddly. Wrap yourself up in a blanket or snuggle up to a loved one.
Spice things up in the kitchen.
- Get moving. Prepping, cleaning – activities keep blood moving – and warm!
- Don’t be afraid to nibble. Healthy snacks, especially healthy fats, rev up your metabolism, which raises your core temperature.
- Cook up a little something. After cooking, leave the oven door cracked open slightly as it cools. (NOTE: Never turn on your oven to use for heat!)
- Add a little heat. Cook recipes that help you to stay warm, such as chili, warm soups, and other dishes with a little spice.
Heating bills still looking a little scary? It may have been a long time since your last professional service. Keep your system running efficiently and your home warm this winter season, with a maintenance checkup. Contact Aire Serv® today.