While in the midst of the sweltering days of summer, having an AC to keep you cool is high on everyone's wish list. But is your AC performing as well as it should be? Now is a good time to evaluate how satisfied you are with your AC’s performance in the summer heat. Is it keeping you cool and running efficiently? Or, is your AC struggling to keep up and your electricity bills are skyrocketing? If so, it may be time to start preparing for a replacement. Figure out what’s in your best interest and reach out to trained technicians to help you make your decision.
How to Tell if You Need an AC Replacement
Even the best air conditioners can’t last forever. When the summer begins to draw to a close, it’s the perfect time to decide if you should budget for an AC replacement before next summer. Here’s how to tell if your system isn't performing well this year:
- The AC made odd noises: After years of operating your air conditioner, you have become very familiar with how it sounds. If you noticed strange AC noises this summer, the unit could be begging to be replaced.
- Your cooling bills were higher than usual: Rising electricity rates could be partly to blame, but an aging and inefficient air conditioner also contributes to higher cooling bills. Budgeting for a replacement could end up saving you money in the long run.
- You experienced comfort problems: Hot and cold spots, high humidity, and other discomforts could mean your air conditioner is at the end of its lifespan.
- The AC is over a decade old: The above problems may be repairable, but if your cooling equipment is 10 years or older, it may be in your best interest to put that money toward a replacement instead.
How to Budget for an AC Replacement
Installing a new air conditioner requires an investment. If your budget is tight, start saving now and make your purchase before the heat starts up again next summer. Here’s how to make the most of your budget:
- Know if you’re getting a fair price: The cost to install an air conditioner depends on the unit’s size, SEER rating, brand, and whether you also need to replace the ductwork. Compare estimates from different contractors to ensure you get a fair price.
- Look for special offers and discounts: Limited time offers can help you stretch your AC replacement budget if you’re flexible on the timing. You might also save big by replacing your cooling and heating equipment at the same time.
- Calculate your yearly costs before you buy: Even after you make your initial purchase, operating an air conditioner can still be expensive. Check the yellow Energy Guide sticker on the models you’re considering so you can budget for future monthly cooling costs.
How to Ensure Long-Term Savings
To keep your home cool in the summer without breaking the bank, follow these tips for long-term savings:
- Choose an Energy Star model: It may cost a bit more upfront, but the increased efficiency of an Energy Star model amounts to greater long-term energy savings that help the investment pay for itself.
- Make a conscious effort to save energy: Dress for the season and only run the AC when you need it. Use ceiling fans to create a wind chill effect and program temperature setbacks while you’re at work all day.
- Schedule routine maintenance: Annual AC maintenance helps your cooling system perform more efficiently and last years longer, making the cost well worth it.
Let Aire Serv® Help with Your AC Replacement
When you work with Aire Serv, you enjoy top-notch services at great prices. We can assist with the entire AC replacement process, from helping you find the most economical efficiency rating to sizing the unit properly for your home’s cooling needs. If you think this is the year to budget for an AC replacement, please contact us today to schedule a consultation.
To help meet all of your home service needs, check out NeighborlyLink opens in a new tab. Once on the site, click on "Join the Community" to find providers to service all your home needs.