It’s an ideal Saturday morning until you hear a smoke alarm’s “chirp.” Let’s face it—no one is excited to hear this annoying sound.
Regularly testing your alarm systems can help prevent this Saturday morning surprise and, more importantly, ensure that your family is safe from fires and deadly carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
Check out this helpful guide to testing your CO and smoke alarms.
How to Test Your Carbon Monoxide Detector
The first step when testing any kind of home alarm is to alert those around you, especially your kids. Nothing’s worse than being startled by a loud alarm! In addition, you’ll prevent unnecessary panic or an accidental 9-1-1 call from a concerned neighbor or family member.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is deadly. To make sure your carbon monoxide detector is working properly; it should be tested once a month. Always check your manual for specific modifications to these general steps.
- Press and hold the “test” button for a few seconds. You should hear a loud beeping noise.
- Release the “test” button. If the unit fails the test, change the batteries.
- If new batteries don’t make a difference, you may need to replace the unit.
Testing Your Smoke Detector
The National Fire Protection AssociationLink opens in a new tab (NFPA) reported 365,500 house fires in 2015 alone, resulting in $7 billion in property damage. Like your carbon monoxide detector, your smoke detector should be tested once a month and the batteries replaced twice a year.
Follow these steps to quickly test your smoke detector:
- Station a family member away from the smoke detector you’ll be testing. Place this person in a room you would expect to hear the alarm in. You should have multiple detectors in your home and it’s important to make sure every room is covered by a detector.
- Press and hold the “test” button.
- If the sound is weak or nonexistent, replace the batteries. Has it been six months since you last changed your batteries? Change them and test again.
- Repeat these steps for each detector in your home (smoke and carbon monoxide). Be sure each room or area of your home is fully protected.
Breathe Easy with Assistance from Aire Serv
Your HVAC system may be a source of carbon monoxide in your home. Have your HVAC system inspected and maintained regularly to mitigate your risk.
For all things HVAC, air quality, smoke and carbon monoxide, choose Aire Serv. Breathe easy knowing our expert technicians are on the job. Request an appointment online or call (855) 679-0011 to get started.
To help meet all of your home service needs, check out Neighborly®.Link opens in a new tab Join our community of home service providers.