National Comfort Month

Ceiling fan with text: "Celebrate national comfort month"
How comfortable are you in your home? May is National Comfort Month – the time of the year when the mercury is headed north and your comfort levels are headed south. If you’re tired of sticking to your leather seats, take heed of these simple tips for a cooler, more comfortable home this summer…

  • Dizzy ‘em up.
    Put floor, ceiling, and box fans into play, spinning ceiling fans counter clockwise for maximum cooling. The comfort of fans will allow you to raise thermostat temperatures 4-7 degrees – or turn off the HVAC altogether - significantly cutting down on energy costs.
  • Go eau natural.
    Natural ventilation can help you stay comfortable and take the strain off your HVAC system – but only if it’s used properly. Open windows and screen doors in the morning and evening, when temperatures are coolest. Be certain to close-up shop before temperatures climb again.
  • Have it made in the shade.
    Shading with curtains, blinds, and shade trees can reduce the amount of heat entering your home up to 20 percent. Reflective, sun-control window coatings can significantly cut down on heat buildup and HVAC use in your home as well.
  • Control the flow.
    In the summer months, closing the vents in downstairs living areas one-fourth to three-fourths of the way can increase airflow to hot upper level floors, evening out temperatures throughout your home.
  • Lighten your load.
    Opting for lighter colored exterior paint and reflective roof coatings can redirect a great deal of the sun’s heat away from your home.
  • Put a cork in it.
    Make sure your home is properly sealed when you’re operating your HVAC system. This includes not only windows and doors, but other cracks and crevices, basement, attic and crawlspace leaks, and leaky ductwork as well.
  • Air it out.
    Make sure your attic is properly ventilated. Proper ventilation can lower temperatures in your attic up to 100 degrees.
  • Stuff it.
    Having adequate levels of attic insulation makes the job of controlling comfort levels in your home much easier on your HVAC system.
  • Keep it cool.
    Prevent adding heat to your home and making your HVAC system work harder by using the clothes line instead of the dryer, saving dishwasher and oven use for cooler hours, and taking advantage of your outdoor grill.
  • Put incandescents on ice.
    Incandescent lights give off only 10 percent of energy as visible light. The other 90 percent? Heat. Switching to CFLs and LEDs will not only cool down your home – but your energy bill as well.

Is your HVAC system keeping you comfortable? Boost comfort and efficiency by contacting your Comfort Company to schedule your annual professional service today.